Tuesday, June 19, 2012

To Heaven and Back A Review

     This book is about Dr Neal's spiritual journey, which includes her death( out of body experience) during a kayak trip in Chile, her time in heaven before her being brought back to finish the purpose God has for her. This is a easy read, some times through I felt details were left out in the story. This maybe for length the book is 222 pages.
     I have problems with this book two that I will mention in this review. In the chapter entitled Going Home I got the impression that there is a second chance for salvation after death. On page 73 the second paragraph Dr. Neal writes "I felt my soul being pulled toward the entry and as I approached, I physically absorbed its radiance and felt the peace, complete and utterly unconditional absolute love that emanated from the hall. It was the most beautiful and alluring thing I had ever seen or experienced. I know with a profound certainty that it represented the last branch of life, the gate through which each human being must pass." The following causes me concern."It was clear that this hall is the place where each of us is given the opportunity to review our lives and our choices, and where we are each given a final opportunity to chose God or to turn away from eternity. I felt ready to enter the hall and was filled an intense longing to be with God." Of course you will need to read the book and this chapter for yourself and determine if you get the same impression.
     A second problem I have is that there is no mention of Jesus or a relationship with Him. There are plenty of references to a relationship with God but not with Jesus.Dr. Neal does address this concern at the end of the book in the section Q and A with Dr. Neal on page 213.
Question--Where is Jesus in this story?
Answer-- I believe Jesus was holding me, comforting me, and reassuring me when I was drowning. I also believe that it was Jesus I was conversing with while sitting in the beautiful field during my out of body experiences.No problem here. Here's the problem I have, Dr. Neal continues I did not clearly state this when I wrote the first edition of my book because I felt uncomfortable with this claim. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! does this fit into Jesus instructions to the 12 disciples in Matthew 10: 32 & 33. "Whoever confesses me before men, him I will also confess before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men him will I also deny before my Father who is in heaven. Read the book and determine for yourself.
     I received this book from WaterBrook Multnomah for this review which is my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment